Vernier Height Gauge | Construction | Advantages and Disadvantages
Construction of Vernier height Gauge:
A vernier height gauge consists of
(i) a finely grow and lapped base. The base is massive
and robust in construction to ensure rigidity and
(ii) A vertical graduated beam or column supported on a
(iii) Attached to the beam is a sliding vernier head
carrying the vernier scale and a clamping screw.
(iv) An auxiliary head which is also attached to the beam
above sliding vernier head. It has
fine adjusting and clamping screw.
(v) A measuring jaw or a scriber attached to the front of
|Diagram Of Vernier Height Gauge|
Use: The vernier height gauge
is designed for accurate measurement and marking of
vertical height above a surface plate datum.
It can also be used to measure differences in heights by
taking the vernier scale reading t each
height and determining the difference by substraction. It
can be used for number of applications in
tool room and inspection department.
Specification Of Vernier Height Gauge:
Digital Height Gauge – Model xxxx/xxxx
Range :- 0 to 300mm
0 to 600mm
Least Count – 0.01mm/0.0005″
The important features of vernier height gauge are :
- all the parts are made of good quality steel or
- The beam should be sufficiently rigid and square with
- The measuring jaw should have a clear protection from
the edge of the beam at least equal to the projection of
the base from the beam.
- The upper and lower ganging surfaces of the measuring
jaw shall be flat and parallel to the base.
- The scriber should also be of same nominal depth as
measuring jaw so that it may be reversed.
- The projection of the jaw should be at least 25
- The slider should have a good sliding fit for all
along the full worship length of the beam.
- Height gauge can also be provided with dial gauge
instead of vernier. This provides easy and exact reading of
slider movement by dial gauge which is larger and
Advantages of using a vernier caliper include:
- It can be used in different ways: one set of jaws
can be used to determine inner measurements, while the
other set can be used to measure exterior
- It is the simplest and quickest of the vernier
instruments to use, and it is also quite cheap.
The disadvantages of using a vernier caliper include:
- The main disadvantage is that the readings are
highly dependent on the operators ability, and its
accuracy is limited by the vernier scale.
- It can only be used to measure small